My experience with the 30-06 on whitetails in PA started in 2010. Since then I've probably taken close to 20 deer using the 150gr Sierra Gameking handloaded at 2850/2900fps. One year I tried 180gr Gamekings and shot a buck in the thick stuff at less than 20yds. He trotted off like nothing happened and my brother shot him again 100 yards above me. There were 2 holes less than 2 inches apart. That particular bullet did not expand well and I went back to the 150s as they always did the job and made holes that leaked on both sides. This year I mixed it up a bit and used a .270 Win and 130gr Gamekings with equally fine results. Anyway, that is my personal experience and, as already said, most any weight 30cal bullet will get the job done.

More importantly, enjoy your time at camp and the camaraderie amongst friends. Nothing quite like deer camp here in PA. Due to callous greed and conflicting personalities, the third generation deer camp and property I have been a part of since I could walk is being sold. This was the last season before being locked out. I am at a loss and it really stings...I have no idea where to hunt next season. So, meet up with your friend and get out there, for no one knows what the future may hold.