Pullit: I bought a brand spankin new Ruger American Varmint in 22 L.R. about three months ago.
I mounted a Leupold 2x7 variable rimfire scope on it in EXPENSIVE Burris "insert" rings.
This Rifle really likes the Winchester 40 grain Power-Point (hollow-point) ammunition.
I have been busy with Antelope, Deer, Elk and ice fishing seasons so haven't tried many factory bullets in it.
I have made NO modifications to my Rifle at all.
It shoots VERY well with that Winchester ammo and that is the main reason I'm posting - to let you know about it.
My Rifle is the laminated stock heavy barrel model and I really like these.
I have another Ruger American Varmint in 17 HMR and it shoots "lights out"!
I have a left handed Varmint Hunting friend who bought a Ruger American in 22 L.R. two years ago - it has a semi-heavy barrel and sadly he had to sell it to me because of health issues.
He had it less than a year and bought a Varmint style ambi-dextrous stock for it and this Rifle shoots extremely well with the Federal bulk pack 36 grain ammo which I have a TON of.
I keep hoping he will perk up health wise and I would sell it back to him. Last time we talked his liver cancer is in remission - so theres hope there.
All the Ruger Americans I am familiar with (in 22 L.R. and 17 HMR) have shot VERY well.
I hope yours does so also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy