Originally Posted by JamesJr
However, here is the thing about running older equipment..........the 4WD and front wheel assist tractors have about taken over the market, and there is a good reason for that. I have to feed cattle in the winter, and we have a lot of mud to deal with here, and I know how hard it is to get around with a 2 wheel drive tractor.

^^^ This right here. My old Massey does the yeoman's work of haying and it moves the big round bales for feeding, but it can get rather "sporty" on snow and especially ice. I have a smaller 4WD tractor which performs the bulk of the work here.

Friend of mine has two big 4WD New Hollands which can handle all the tasks --- when they're working. We can perform the minor maintenance (fluid changes, hydraulic seals, etc) but when it's something engine or software related, it results in a trip to the dealership for diagnostics. And sometimes a lengthy wait on parts; he had BOTH of them down for about a month this summer when he was trying to work the fields.

The new technology is a blessing and a curse. I'm planning to stick with my 40+ year old tractor for as long as I can.