Hey all,

I'm new here. Growing up I've spent a good bit of time outdoors between becoming an eagle scout, running cross country, helping my dad and step mom on their little farm, and generally just spending time in the woods. In fact, I've enjoyed it so much I am studying for a degree in wildlife biology.

Over the last year or so I've really gotten an itch to start hunting. I grew up shooting, but my parents never took me hunting, just a lot of fishing. It seems like a great way to spend more time in the outdoors and become more familiar with the food I eat, hoping back into the food chain if you will.

I'm really excited, but I have no idea where to start. I have a 30-06 single shot on the way, and I figure at some point I need to get a hunting license and attend a hunters safety course, but other than that I am a bit clueless. Should I hire a guide? Wander around until I figure it out on my own? My father hasn't hunted in a long time and he really only hunted birds, none of my friends are exactly hunters either being that I am in suburban northern Virginia.

How should I go about this? Thanks