Good advice above. Library books on hunting are pretty cheap too, if they have them and you return them on time,.. smile

Most states have a separate archery season that can extend annual hunting experience. Archers tend to be more anal about EVERYTHING than us gun-only guys. It's a good way to learn faster and perhaps more thoroughly. So are camera trips or walkabouts and as much time as you can spend in the woods just observing. If you locate a hunting area, get familiar with it before season if you can - not just the terrain, observe the critters as well.

Decent binoculars are a must, valuable even in pretty dense cover.- not sure in your situation how valuable a spotting scope would be, as yet.

NEVER use your rifle scope to "glass" with - hence the binocs.

Never fully trust a safety. If shooting isn't imminent, or likely so, carry the rifle with chamber empty. There is lively discussion on this from time to time here......... but anything that can go wrong happens all the time. An empty chamber CANNOT "accidentally" discharge. This is in ADDITION, to all the usual safety rules about muzzle control, etc.

If hunting in wet, cold weather where things might freeze inside the bolt or trigger mechanisms, hunt it "dry"- without oil. Dry to touch "one-step" products such a Eezox or Corrosion X work very well for this, protecting against finger prints, rust, and provide enough lubrication, and do not gum up with dirt, thicken with cold or freeze.

Don't bring a cold gun into a warm place - condensation will form on it, inside and out. Leave it outside, or wrap it in a blanket or sleeping bag (cooled) to bring it in to warm gradually.

Never store a firearm in a case, unless it is lightweight and breathable. Especially a wet firearm....

Take dated notes/keep a journal. I wish I had - never did. Memory goes to hell a few years removed. And take pictures, with notation.

Nothing wrong with a single shot. As you said, it helps encourage selective shooting and placement.

My wife and I hunted with a .260 bolt repeating rifle that had a broken extractor last fall, making it a "single shot"- at least until the fired brass cooled enough to shrink and fall out of the chamber again, when tilted vertically. And yes, we did have a 30-06 bolt action repeater with us. Didn't need it.

The "single shot" took a decent bull caribou for each of us, on successive days.

I meant to replace that extractor last winter.....I'll get to it this winter, yet. I hope.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Last edited by las; 01/13/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.