It would be too dangerous for any government to admit they are not in control. We are spoon fed to believe that we need them to control every aspect of our life. in their minds, "We can't handle the truth!" In reality, there are likely 3 conclusions to draw from this:
1) The US government has some really sophisticated aircraft which no other country can match
2) Another country's military has surpassed the US military in terms of technology
3) Something else is more advanced than our current aircraft

If we look at number 1, I guess you could say this is a way to let our adversaries know what we can do without showing them directly. Although, if we could do this we could do what we wanted without impunity as someone else stated.

If we look at number 2, it could be scary to think that China or Russia has surpassed us in the sky. If they had done so, why would they need to play games with us. We would be powerless to stop it.

If we look at number 3, then we must admit we are not the most advanced thing on this earth. Also, our government can't protect us from everything (Shocking!). It might cause some uber-religious types to lose their minds. In a few words, it could de-stabilize our current society.

I will say I don't know the correct answer. It is not in my control, so I don't spend much time worrying about it. If our military is still on top then, Great News! If we are not the top dog in the sky then I think most people can handle the truth. Let the facts come out and we can judge for ourselves.