Originally Posted by Hesp
Have been shooting the 264 since 1964. For 140 gr class bullets the very slowest powders are advisable for velocities of 3200 + FPS in a 26" BBl. Powders like VV 24N41, N570, Rel 33 & Retumbo. H-1000 way to fast except for 100gr bullets. IMR-7828 usable but on the fast side for the 264. My personal use of bullets has been for the 120gr mono's like Barnes, Hammer. GMX etc. I have been taking elk regularly with these bullets since 1994 ( Barnes 120 X ), now the TSX. They have proved exceptionally elk capable from what ever angle thru heavy bone.with absolute minimal blood shot meat . We take elk each season with the 120gr mono's in all our 6.5's from 260 , 6.5x55 etc. Years of in the field experience has proven their capability & dependably. Gave up on the C&C bullets , Gave up on the bonded , partitioned or any lead core bullet because of their destructiveness on meat.. Especially when dense muscle or bone is struct. .You don't always get a rib cage shoot. Just like this year I had to place the shot through a window in the brush thru both front shoulders or would have not had a shot. 6.5 121 gr Hammer with complete pass thru & very little blood shot meat. As is said eat right up to the hole.

Do you prefer these very slow powders for the 120 grain bullets as well?
Glad to see someone has experience with these 120 grain monolithics, I'm heavily leaning towards the E-Tip or 127 grain Barnes LRX now.