I know what it is for me..........

Taken from another thread, but attribution is made..........

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I am sure I will get flamed for this but in all honesty there isn't much to learn here. There are some good makers here. There are a few guys that have nice collections. There are a few guys that know more than they lead you to believe. But for the most part this forum is a bunch of guys with run of the mill knife experience. Nothing wrong with that at all. However I got flamed for saying that a Havalon maybe soulless but is a great tool in the field. A Havalon will outperform more than a bunch of run of the mill knives. It is faster and easier to replace the blade in the field than sharpening a knife. The cost is next to nothing and if lost is no big deal! I seek performance in a custom, I seek steels that offer more, heat treat that is better than the norm, and edge geometry that is thin. You can slice or you can plow, your choice. There are times when a thin blade isn't desirable but more times than not a thin blade is what I want. I try to keep up with steels and makers, but there are a lot of both so it can be challenging. I think most get butt hurt when guys here talk about knives that can and will outperform what they are either using or know about. I had a PM with Menefee about this a while back. I have also discussed it with a few makers that came on here and read post, then decided it wasn't worth their time on here. I use to be a quantity guy, I owned a lot of knifes from a lot of makers. I starting seeing slight differences but most were Germain. I wanted better and I wanted different but at that time there was not a lot of guys that stood out. Phill Wilson and Phill Hartsfield really opened my eyes. Now there are guys that don't want to make you 80 different models or your own personal design. Because they have put in the time, energy, money, and testing to figure out what really works. Get to know some of these guys and they may be willing to work with you on a project knife. If they think it is going to match their standard. Honestly I think there are some great guys on here and like anywhere else in life some not so great guys. We can all learn something if we are receptive to it. Anyways I have pretty thick skin and can handle any and all flaming. In the end I love knives, and I love exceptional knives even more.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

"I have learned one thing. As Woody says, ‘Showing up is 80 percent of life.’ Sometimes it’s easier to hide home in bed. I’ve done both."

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/06/10/showing-up/

FWIW,

I often make mention that I operate within a narrow band of mediocrity. Pretty much in all areas of life. At 5'8, I've never been the biggest, and for some reason, unlike so many folks of my stature, I do not have a small man's complex. In a group, I'm almost never the youngest or the oldest, the smartest or the dumbest. I fished constantly for the first 27 years of my life, but life happens and for the last 41 years, have not fished much. My interests are also pretty narrow I enjoy my kids, my grand-kids, photography, reloading, playing with guns and knives and going to my deer leases. I basically "retired" at 49 years, in 2000, and have spent the last 20 years of my life ordered around hunting seasons. I quit watching network TV over 20 years ago and have not watched a pro football, baseball or basketball game since the 'strikes' in the 80's.

I’ve reloaded for 80+ different chamberings for pistols and rifles from 17 ackley hornet to 458 Lott, but I'm not a ballistician

I prolly have close to 200 custom knives, (45 Menefees, alone) but I'm not a metallurgist.

I've owned well over 200 bolt action, lever and single shot rifles, but don't claim to be a gunsmith.

Perhaps an anecdote might just be in order…….

Have you heard the story about the three sailors that hit port and went directly to the nearest house of ill repute.

First sailor goes in and after he is finished the lady he serviced exclaims, ah, 10", best I've had today. The second sailor goes in and does his thing. The lady is heard to say, ah, 8" second best I've had today. The third sailor goes in and is getting ready to climb on. Well this dude has a really small pecker. The madam looks at him and inquires "Who you gonna please with that thing.
Unabashed he immediately replies,
"Me, MOFO, Me"

Life does not have to be a zero sum game!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.