McCray, thanks for the feedback.

I went ahead and rolled the dice on one of these units figuring if I didn't like it or anything looked wonky, I would just return it. My initial impressions were pretty good.

I went ahead and installed the unit on my rifle with a new set of NECG stainless hex head action screws and torqued things in place. The PTG unit did fit into the same inletting as the Williams unit with almost identical dimensions. The one difference I noticed was that the front of the unit around the forward action screw is just slightly narrower than the Williams piece so I have a slight gap that wasn't present with the Williams piece. Only talking about a millimeter or less on each side. Not really noticeable and shouldn't cause any issue but I may get around to bedding it one day so the gap is gone.

In case anyone wants to know weights for their own projects:

Williams 1pc chromoly ...7.5oz
Factory 2pc ..................4.3oz
PTG 1pc aluminum ........2.8oz

Those weights are the bottom metal only without the follower or spring.

This rifle used to weight less than 8lbs all up but I decided to put a dialing scope on it and replace the fixed 6x. This added 10oz to the rifle landing me at 8lbs, 5oz for an empty rifle. Swapping out this bottom metal knocked 4.7 ounces off that without any major headache. And if I decide to sell the Williams unit, it would be free weight savings.

Not much in the big scheme of things...but a rifle looney's work is never done.