I have been reading with interest the thread about 338-06 or 35 whelen, because I am in a bit of the same situation. I have a 358 Win that I thought I could use, but due to it being built off a small ring Mauser, I want to keep pressures down. Because of that, I am looking at the possibilities for a bigger game rifle. Here are my parameters: game up to elk and moose size, also sufficient for big black bear. (here in Pa we have several 600+lb bear shot each year. Distance, I would say my max range at this point is 350 yards, maybe 400. I have an older Savage 110 rifle currently chambered in 30-06 that I have never shot. The gunsmith put a bore scope down the barrel, and said it looks like it as shot very little. So I have the option of A. Leaving it as an 06. Would probably put a better stock on than the cheap birch it came with. Or B. I can re-barrel to an 06 based cartridge. So I have been looking at primarily 338-06 or 35 whelen, or leaving it as an 06. I ran the numbers, and on paper there does not seem to be much difference between the 3 at 350 yards.

For the 06 using 180 grain accubonds and figuring 2850 fps muzzle velocity, 350 yard vel is 2252/2027 lbs energy.
For the 338-06 using 225 grain accubond figuring mv of 2685, 350 yard vel is 2144/2296 lbs energy
For the whelen using 225 accubond figuring mv of 2650, 350 yard vel is 1984/1966 lbs energy.

Do these numbers look like they are reasonable? I got them from Hodgdon's site. The nosler shows higher vel with the whelen, but that is a 26 inch barrel. Secondly am I missing the point entirely and should I be looking at something else? I would like to keep it to a simple barrel change if possible. For what I am seeing, I am tempted to see how the 06 currently shots, and if it is good just be done with it. My reasoning for that is easy to get brass, and a big bullet selection. I do reload for pretty much everything I have, so i don't see doing differently with an 06.

Last edited by Jevyod; 01/27/20.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.