Originally Posted by Jevyod
I have been reading with interest the thread about 338-06 or 35 whelen, because I am in a bit of the same situation. I have a 358 Win that I thought I could use, but due to it being built off a small ring Mauser, I want to keep pressures down. Because of that, I am looking at the possibilities for a bigger game rifle. Here are my parameters: game up to elk and moose size, also sufficient for big black bear. (here in Pa we have several 600+lb bear shot each year. Distance, I would say my max range at this point is 350 yards, maybe 400. I have an older Savage 110 rifle currently chambered in 30-06 that I have never shot. The gunsmith put a bore scope down the barrel, and said it looks like it as shot very little. So I have the option of A. Leaving it as an 06. Would probably put a better stock on than the cheap birch it came with. Or B. I can re-barrel to an 06 based cartridge. So I have been looking at primarily 338-06 or 35 whelen, or leaving it as an 06. I ran the numbers, and on paper there does not seem to be much difference between the 3 at 350 yards.

For the 06 using 180 grain accubonds and figuring 2850 fps muzzle velocity, 350 yard vel is 2252/2027 lbs energy.
For the 338-06 using 225 grain accubond figuring mv of 2685, 350 yard vel is 2144/2296 lbs energy
For the whelen using 225 accubond figuring mv of 2650, 350 yard vel is 1984/1966 lbs energy.

Do these numbers look like they are reasonable? I got them from Hodgdon's site. The nosler shows higher vel with the whelen, but that is a 26 inch barrel. Secondly am I missing the point entirely and should I be looking at something else? I would like to keep it to a simple barrel change if possible. For what I am seeing, I am tempted to see how the 06 currently shots, and if it is good just be done with it. My reasoning for that is easy to get brass, and a big bullet selection. I do reload for pretty much everything I have, so i don't see doing differently with an 06.

As per usual,less is more. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pass a 23" 280 and 180 ELD at 2800fps. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Less recoil,less drop,less drift,higher impact velocity and higher "energy"(which is a moot designator). Actual trigger time,will do more favors than Window Licking. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Just saying...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."