Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I … So I have the option of A. Leaving it as an 06. Would probably put a better stock on than the cheap birch it came with. Or B. I can re-barrel to an 06 based cartridge. So I have been looking at primarily 338-06 or 35 whelen, or leaving it as an 06. I ran the numbers, and on paper there does not seem to be much difference between the 3 at 350 yards.

Some comments:

1. Keep the .30-06 if it shoots. It will do everything you want.
2. Not much wrong with the “cheap birch” stock. I think they are better than most factory synthetics. They are relatively light and rigid. If the “walnut look” birch bothers you, paint it.
3. You’re not stuck with a .30-06 or cartridges with a .473” case head. The Savage bolt head is easily swapped out to a Magnum bolt head. You could do a 28 Nosler. .300WM, .338WM or a large variety of other cartridges for the cost of a bolt head.

Coyote_Hunter nails it. My brother's "cheap birch stock" on his 280AI is light, handy, and (with pillar and glass bedding) gets the job done. It started as an '06 and we put a Shaw Savage replacement barrel on and it's a solid moa or better rifle. You can spend as much as you like, but I've found that a high price doesn't necessarily make a "better" rifle. All depends on what floats your boat.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard