Originally Posted by Swifty52
http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-84040.html

Tony Boyer points out in his book that hard front bags opens group.

Greg Walley
08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Technically, no. At least in the NBRSA. Rules state that the bag must be able to be deflected 1/4" by finger pressure. Of course, that is very vague, and I've never seen a M.D. enforce this rule. But you don't want a rock hard bag anyway. Was it TB who said that the bag should feel like a ripe orange? That is a good description to go by.

We’ve fixed a lot of bad guns-barrels-scopes-actions over the years by simply removing a bit of sand from both sandbags.

Greg Walley
Kelbly’s Inc.

Butch Lambert
08-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Terry, if the bag is filled with sand, it is legal. Tony B. is right, a hard front bag can contribute to vertical.

WOW Swifty you sure know how to rant, only problem is you always seem to leave out any common sense.
You mention Tony Boyer, He runs his bags very hard. when he feels it is too hard he might take out a teaspoon's worth of sand but it is still pretty hard.
one thing is for sure is the rear bag is softer than the front (opposite of what you suggest). Looking at Tony's book right now............not even a mention of the airsoft BB's you also suggest.
Hardness in sand bags is relative not absolute. I mentioned that I have 8 different rests for different applications, my rest for Benchrest is by far the hardest and the one that I use for Big game rifles with slender stocks I still consider hard but is more supple. there is an appropriate hardness for each application and sand of some sort most of the time is the best solution. Never IMO airsoft BB's.
The only analogy I can think of is you are saying Rectal is better than Vaginal........you can sell that until the end of time and I'll still never believe you.