My brother's wife came down with lung cancer. The docs asked her how many "pack years" she had. If you smoke a pack a day, then in one year, you have one pack year.
Two packs a day, in one year, you have 2 pack years.
If you have 30 pack years you are screwed.
Lisen started smoking in high school at age 16, a pack a day. She got sick at age 48, so, 32 pack years.
Rush always talks about his "formerly nicotine stained fingers" which means, he used to smoke a lot of cigarettes. How many pack years he has I don't know, but he is always talking about smoking cigars.

Brother and Lisen did what all the doctors recommended, they had all the therapy, chemo, radiation, whatever. All her hair fell out, the therapy made her miserable around the clock. She lived 18 months.
Brother says he would never put someone through the chemotherapy again, better just to die an honest death.

I noticed yesterday Rush has a beard, about 3 week growth, he started it about the time of the diagnosis. I have been listening to this guy since 1990 on WGST in Atlanta. He has never had a beard.

I think this is a sign that it may all be over soon for Rush. I remember when Sinatra was really old and dying, for the last few months he had a beard.