Originally Posted by WAM
The most irritating thing about Leupold scopes is the folks pronouncing it “Lee-O-Pole”. Same with “Kay-lees” ! LOL!
Happy Trails

Actually, the correct German Pronunciation should be and is, Loypold. EU in German is pronounced oy not eu. But I suspect the family wanted to anglicize the name. A lot of Germans were into that around WWI because everything German here was considered taboo. My mother's mother's family did this. I had a Great Aunt that denied her German ethnistics in front of God and everybody. This lady was the pillar of the Baptist church and would rather die than lie but she did right in front of a good friend of mine who was of German Descent. I told her, "David is German like us," To which she answered, "But dear, we are not German, we're English." She was partially right as her mother's family was English. But her father, my great grandfather was German. His dad, my great great grandfather came here from Germany in 1848 when he was 8 years old and planted his family name forever in this county. Their port of entry was right here on Matagorda Bay at the old townsite of Indianola Texas. Most Germans came through at New York or even Galveston, but my family were some of the first en mass immigrants from Germany and landed right here in Calhoun County Texas. But come WWI they forgot where they came from.....LOL!!! I suspect something similar happened with the Leupold family and now their off spring pronounce their name Loopold.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/04/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!