Originally Posted by efw
I bought a FX3 6x42mm here from a great guy thinking I could either have a target turret, CDS, or LRD installed through the custom shop.

Just got off the phone with them and the shop is restructuring and there is no word on what if any retrofit services they’ll offer, not sure when they’ll reopen, or what the pricing structure will be if they decide to do that work.

I’ve always gravitated toward their products for their customization.

DOE!

The custom shop at Leupold had its genesis in the same time period in which we (myself and the "Old Guard") were lobbying hard toward avoiding "lesser" product lines. During one dinner conversation in Vegas (Safari Club convention if I remember right), I excused myself, went back to my room in a hurry and came back with Leupold's current brochure which featured at least one rifle from the Remington Custom Shop. The question was asked, "Why can't Leupold do this?" Those of us pushing the idea found an unexpected ally in Chuck Yeager, who started brainstorming about what HE would like to have done to a Leupold scope. He'd just had a Winchester Model 88 re-worked by an outfit in Roseburg, Oregon (had pictures just like a proud grandfather), and wanted equal attention to his sighting system on it.

The custom shop ramped up slowly from there. I'd hate to believe its going away.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor