There's no ground hogs around here. But I got a 223 and 243. Both in standard hunting configuration and a relatively small investment. I'll give them a try at 700 in a couple of weeks

I'd like to upgrade the 223 to a .223AI so the brass would last longer. And while I'm at it, go to an 8 twist. But there's lots of good factory .223 ammo designed for long range. I'm just getting my toes wet with loading for the .223, so it may be a while before I switch to .223AI.

If you're building your own, you can pick your poison. But to get started cheap, a Ruger American Predator reamed to AI and put in a laminated stock might fit the bill without being as cumbersome as a varmint rifle.
And I believe the .223 would have a much longer barrel life than most other rifles that might meet your criteria, unless you were willing to move up to a 6.5 chambering.

A 22-250 certainly shoots flatter than any .223 if you don't mind the barrel not lasting as long. This with an 8 twist is probably a really good choice if you reload. I don't know if they've started producing factory ammo with the long bullets yet.

My 243 is far from a competition rifle. It's a lightweight with moderate 9.25 twist that I'm hoping will shoot the shorter 105's accurately for the 700 yard range.
But again, if your building your own, the skies the limit.
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017...en-uses-243-win-for-long-range-shooting/
That article is two and a half years old. But the 6mm Creedmoor was designed in 2009.

Of course, the 6 Creed is the easy button with all factory rifles set up to shoot the long range boxed ammo available for it. But I haven't seen them or ammo offered locally.

Last edited by DollarShort; 02/06/20.