Originally Posted by Redleg172
I have never been a long range shooter, I don't think I've killed big game past 150 yards. I want to build a semi-custom rifle to start shooting longer ranges and kill a few groundhogs here in PA. I will likely never shoot at a groundhog past 4-500 yards but would like to stretch out to 700-1000 yards on paper/gongs for the experience. I would also like to keep ammunition cost and recoil as low as possible and not get overly complicated forming cases or wildcatting.

My original thought was a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel (1:8ish) to shoot heavier bullets. Maybe an AI. I also considered a 243 with a standard twist and 90-100 grainers. Of course now everyone is 6.5 Creed happy. What are some other options? What would you pick?

What do you hunt with now?

I've known a few people who wanted to get into LR shooting/hunting but were overwhelmed at the cost. Told them to reconfigure what you already have, one guy Kelly had a plain Rem. 700 270win., I had 50 nosler cases left over, loaded him up some 150gr. BTSP Sierras. He bought a Super Sniper 10X, Harris swivel bipod, and an entry level 600 yard bushnell rangefinder and had a blast. He and his Dad immediately took up handloading and got all rigged out to shoot out to several hundred yards.
But we all know there's NOTHING wrong with buying a new rifle.
The 223rem., 6tw. barrel sounds perfect.

I met a guy who shot a 30-30 at 500+ yards and loved the challenge. He flagged me down one day and told me of dragging a road-killed deer to his target area and killing a coyote at 500-510 yards, one shot kill.
Used some Flex-tip bullet.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.