Originally Posted by battue
With some practice both of you are correct. However, I've seen some decent shotgun shooters pick up a pump and look much like the monkey and the football.

As far as thousands on the fields, I frequent more than a few fields with more than a few participants. Coming across a pump gun shooter, outside of the few dedicated side pump gun events, which few participate in, is rare. Very rare. That would also include those that only go there for fun and not competition.

To the overwhelming majority on this site a pump gun is a foreign object. They can learn to use one well, but most never will obtain his level of use.

In addition: He can't shoot a pump gun in Fitasc events. Not allowed. Stupid rule, made by other countries who make the Fitasc rules, but it is the existing rule.

You really need to get out more to "social" or "league" sporting clays, skeet, and even trap events where the more typical non-registered shooters are. The presence of pump guns are indeed rare in registered competition but at the local league level they make up a large percentage of shooters. At least they do throughout the central part of the nation and many other parts I've been to.

And when one adds in the number of shooters who learned to shoot on game in the field, the number of people who can properly use a pump gun goes up higher. Pumps are very common for hunting and even the poor shots can get off rounds rather quickly.

That someone is a good shooter does not automatically make them proficient in all the tools used. I've also seen very experienced shooters be given an action type they weren't familiar with for the first time and make absolute fools of themselves. Give that person a few pointers on the proper operation of the tool and some time to familiarize themselves with it and they won't look the fool.

I noticed the overall shooting too but the video caption and further discussion appeared to reference the operation of the pump gun rather than the ability of the shooter to read and break the target hence I tried to not derail the thread.