Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by krp

Anyway target vs broadhead shooting are two different things... bareshaft with a fieldpoint then bareshaft with a broadhead, I've done it, get the kids and women indoors because that sucker can go anywhere, a drastic difference between fieldtip and broadhead. That's what helical is for, 4 vanes and possibly an advantage of offset. If I was field or olympic shooting I wouldn't need anything but basic straight fletching.

Kent

40 years of shooting archery, J.O.A.D., Field, Indoor, 3D, and hunting. Never found it hard to get arrows to fly straight with field points or broad heads. I shoot all my wheel bows to 90 meters and stick bows to 30. I predominantly shoot fingers wheel bow hunting. I do shoot and at times hunt with my bow I shoot release with. I shoot the same broad heads from two very different speed bows. Matter of fact I shoot the same broad heads on my stick bows as well. So make that three very contrasting speeds. No problems! Tune your bow and arrow properly from the start. Shoot a quality fixed blade broad head and fletch your arrows with a slight helical in the direction of your choice.

Bowhunting forum and I assume the question is for a compound shooting release and broadheads which are the majority of shooters.

Since most folks can't tune the bow/arrow/broadhead combo and experience issues, I give them the quick easy tune without all the physics and whys.

Take your setup, string an arrow and eyeball center and level, look down the string and set a pin in line with the string/arrow so you won't miss the target on a side, shoot up close to test the pin that you won't miss the target up or down. Take a bareshaft and shoot at distance, I like 30yds, keeping both eyes open to see any kick at the back end, without fletchings it can't correct itself. Adjust the rest to correct up down right left until you get a reasonable flat straight fight, could be 5 shots could be 20. Any kick not corrected by rest adjustment is a spine issue, over or under, if it's close, when shooting fletchings it will shoot very well. Easiest way to adjust spine at the range is with head weight, take some different weight field points and test.

Set pins shooting FT in groups, then I switch to a broadhead for practice.

The 4 fletch shoots better in the wind on every bow I've tried.

A 3 fletch helical will do ok.

Kent