Originally Posted by PennDog
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've owned a few of each and think that the 580 series was a significant leap forward accuracy wise from the 510 series.

When Remington made the 510 series, they were competing head to head against better designs from Winchester like the Models 69 and 72.

Remington introduced the 580 series around the time that Winchester dropped the Models 69 and 72, replacing them with the Models 121/131/141 .22 bolt guns. Even the most loyal Winchester man will probably agree that they were a giant step back from the quality of the 69 and 72.

The 580 series triggers are among the best any American manufacturer has put of a basic sporter style rimfire bolt gun..

260Remguy,

It isn’t very often that I “disagree” with you but I’ve never met a 580 series Remington that could hold a light to the few 513S sporters that I’ve had over the years (the 513s that I’ve had will shoot with some of the best .22 sporters I have including Cooper, Anschutz, and others of that ilk) - the 580 series might have a edge in the trigger department but that’s only because the 510 series triggers are notoriously bad. That said 580 series triggers can be altered to be really good triggers but stock they aren’t much to write home about - now 540 series triggers are a whole other ballgame. The 580 series rifles I have have/had all shot pretty good (around 1/2” at 50 yards) but can typically be made to shoot better with a tuned trigger.

That’s just my limited experience (sample size) obviously others may have had different results.

PennDog

I've never owned a 513, just 511s and 512s.

I've never owned a 540 and have always assumed that they were just a target version of the 580 with a different style of stock, barrel, and sights.

I've had a couple of the fancier 541S and 541Ts pass through, but none made enough of an impression on me to remember any specifics about them other than that I sold them for a little more than I paid for them. It could be that I had one of the Miroku 52 Sporters at the same time and liked it better, particularly the non-protruding magazine.

I wouldn't consider Anschutz or Coopers as being "basic sporter style rimfire bolt guns". I was thinking in terms of the contemporary basic sporter style rimfire bolt guns made by American manufactures during the same years that the 580 series rifles were in production, 1967 thru 1999.

I keep three groups of rimfire bolt guns around:

Heavy contour target rifles like Remington 37s, 40Xs, and Winchester 52s..

Higher grade sporters from Anschutz, Krico, Miruko, and Winchester.

Basic sporters from Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Savage, and Winchester.

I can only comment on my experience and feel comfortable standing by my assertion that "The 580 series triggers are among the best any American manufacturer has put of a basic sporter style rimfire bolt gun." even if my experience is contrary to your experience.

Different rifles, different shooters, different criteria for what constitutes a good/better/best trigger.