From what I've read, first round flyers in a .22 rimfire are often caused by a build up of wax or lead right in front of the chamber. One local non formal match even allowed a "1 shot sighter" into the dirt, partially to combat the problem. After the first shot the build up softens enough that the next bullet through is not sized by it. Some people report success of eliminating it by using one of the fire lapping kits. I have also read some reports that although fire lapping didn't eliminate the problem that in did cut down the amount that the bullet may deviate, i.e. a 2" flyer cut down to 1" or whatever.

A 10/22 with an Adams and Bennet Barrel that I used to own had the first shot flyer. After the first shot it would do pretty good. I sold the rifle before reading of the cure so I did not have a chance to try it myself.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org