I have had about as much experience with ACCURATE factory 22 LR rifles as anyone as I have been shooting them for over 60 Years. IMHO the 580 series rifles are WITHOUT a doubt one of the best/if not the best BANG 4 the buck

I currently own 3- 580,5 -581's 3 and 541's each and every one of these will average 1/2" --3/8" or better for 5/5 shot groups at 50 yds . One particular 508 has had minor mods and it will shoot with my Voleker 541 w/Lilja bbl- it has been glass bedded ,2 action screw, bbl shortened and 541 trigger.

I have seen NO measurable difference in the earlier Walnut stock rifles vs the later Birch ones the triggers although different both respond equally to polishing and spring mods .

I no longer have any of the HB 540 models although they are also very accurate-- I had one that my Smith turned the bbl to sporter contour and placed in a 580 stock and in Virginia late 80' shot a lot of "Bottle Cap" matches and won more that my fair share

In searching for a 580 series one thing to do if possible use a tight fitting patch on a GOOD one piece rod and check the bore in the area of the STAMPINGS on the bbl and check for roughness as the bbl is sooooo thin in that area that it moved into the bore- U will B able to feel -my 580 has NONE the bore is as smooth as the 541's

Good Luck

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"