Originally Posted by dennisinaz
About 15 years ago I built a 250 Savage on a large ring Mauser- very short stock, 4X scope etc. Both of my sons learned to big game hunt with it; killed a couple elk and several deer a piece. I dusted it off today and my grandson used it to kill a Black Hawaiian ram this morning. One shot at 92 yards. My son decided he wanted to give it a run again and shot a ram too. Good times. If posted pics on here wasn't such a chore I would put one up.

I used factory ammo from some company in Montana since you can't buy brass anymore. Still a good low-recoil killer!

For how I hunt I'll take a good accurate .250 Savage over a .243 anyday. It kills way beyond what it's supposed to. I built one 10 years ago on a Howa 1500 action that was originally chambered a .22-250 Remington. I had a Krieger barrel made with 1:9 twist screwed into it and chamber. The barrel is 26" long and it gives me a lot of velocity for its size. But I won't go there. I'll just say it's a great low recoiling rifle and very accurate. It's not real light to carry but it's not a bar bell either. I figure it weighs about 8 pounds.

I worked up a load in Winchester brass with a 115 grain Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip and with 39 grains of RL-17 and a CCI 200 primer it gives me great velocities for such a little case with no signs of pressure. Recoil is so light I don't even blink. However, there is some there. Once my ex wife shot a doe with it. It was her first deer. She had been shooting at the range with me but I didn't notice in the blind she didn't rest the butt on her shoulder and just had it in between her arm and body and the scope eye piece came back and gave her a black eye. It looked like a real Saint Louis slugger punched her. Some people thought I was the culprit. Embarrassed me. It doesn't take much. However, it did teach her a lesson.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/15/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!