Truly a classic and will always have class. I was admiring the rifles pictured here and I got to thinkin, Ive never seen a 250 Savage I didnt like. I realize it has more to do with the cart. than anything. That custom is a beautiful rifle, well thought out. For the otc choice Ive always wanted a Ruger RSI.

As for the killing and staying power, Id say its designed about as good as any cart. out there. Got bullets light enough to call it a varmint gun and heavy enough to call it a deer rifle without starting a fist fight at the gun shop......add to that the velocities are just right for keeping the cup/core bullets together as they plow from one side through the other. Id say in todays world its more versatile then ever with the bullets we have now a days. With that said I could sit and look at a fist full of 250 Savage bullets loaded with the old Winny Silver tips for hours. Its a perty little round and it looks like they belong together.

The only field experience I have is from a trip to Wyoming with some buddies a while back. We decided we'd all take at least 1 antelope with our various 25's. I brought my old Win 94 rifle in 25-35 loaded with Hornadys 117 gr RN. I killed a buck at about 150 yds,, 2 shots through the lungs. He ran a little futher then I thought he shoulda. I think the velocity got down too low to initiate bullet upset, plus I believe the jacket on those bullets is pretty stout. On my next one I used my pards 700 classic loaded with 100 gr Solid Base bullets and it was 1 and done at about 200 yds, DRT. Ive always had a thing for those Solid Base bullets, even before the BT put em to rest.

Anyhow, long live the good ole 250-3000.

Joseph