Yes,I thought you meant adding the silvers solder to the base of the dovetail on the barrel.This particular sight is target sight with the barrel on it that different apertures are inserted in. It would be touch and go heating it up and not distorting that very thin barrel, while applying even low temp silver solder which I have.

I have rebarreled an old Fox Sterlingworth double using three different silver solder heats when I soldered the barrels into the receiver,then soldering the spacers between the barrels and finally soldering the rib on. I am not a commercial gunsmith, but I think that puts me a few steps above a blacksmith. Most of my gunsmithing is building stocks. However, at 76,I am still shoeing my own mules so I guess I rate that title too

I have added .002 brass shim stock under the sight to help and peened down the ears of the dove tail so they are flat with the barrel .That seems to have done the trick. This particular rifle, I think, was made with a loose dove tail.The original front blade sight has a # 6 screw drilled and tapped into it and to move the sight,you loosened the screw.

As for durability, many shotguns have the rib glued on,and I have never heard of one coming off. They get a lot hotter when shooting than this7/8ths wide octagonal barrel.You don't exactly rapid fire an 38-55 Lever gun.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/19/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles