Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Slavek

The .338 Magnum can be good if you pick the right oneintelligently customized factory rifle... Quality recoil pad, removable muzzle break, improved trigger and stock to action fit. I'm sure scope is not included but that rifle is very fairly priced. Like the seller says better than original from the factory.

The muzzle break should be the only clue you need,

At this point after many weekends at the Public range, I consider brakes to be Public Enemy #1

Useless, loud, obnoxious piece of chits.............

While we don’t do public ranges, even then, my wife absolutely hates muzzle brakes.....and “will not” even consider putting one on her .338 WM. Also, 338’s are not necessarily heavy, her rifle weighs in at 8 lb. 15 oz. scoped, loaded, and slung!. Truthfully, she doesn’t enjoy shooting from the bench. Once a load is developed bench work is unnecessary, except for a zero check. Practice should be from field positions, replicating shots likely to be taken when hunting!

As to the .338 WM having a specific purpose, she has used hers every year since 1996, on all game from deer/antelope, thru elk, moose, bear! It’s pretty difficult to beat the versatility of a .338 WM. memtb

I've had and used a 338WM since about the same time. I will say that they are not as fun to practice with shooting off the bench. I've shot as much as 40 rounds off the bench with some of my 338wm rifles, in one sitting. I much prefer shooting my 6.5 creedmoor rifles. My hat goes off to guys or girls that can shoot more than I do with the big magnum rifles. I will always have a good 338wm rifle around for my elk hunts, as that is the one cartridge I always grab on opening day. That's not saying that's the only cartridge I have killed elk with, because it is not. To me, my main elk hunting rifle chambered in 338 rarely gets shot. I have plenty more rifles that I can practice with that replicate the function of my 338. Absolutely no need to practice with your heavy kicking 338 in anticipation of that one shot you are going to put on that elk. That may just be me though. I'd rather practice with my .223's, 22-250's, 6.5 cm and even 30-06 rifles the whole year. If you have a good rifle and scope package, it will stay zeroed during the course of the year and will be ready for your elk hunt. Mine is ready and always zeroed. Funny thing is I have a picture I post a lot about how well my 338 shoots:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Check the date on that target^^^^^^^^^^^^ That was actually the last time I shot that rifle until last year:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That was almost exactly 2 years of not shooting that rifle, but it was ready for that elk hunt. I say if the OP is looking for a dandy elk cartridge, buy the 338wm, but if he's looking to do a lot of shooting and practicing, buy the 257wby. I'm also wondering why there's such a big gap in choice here? Kind of funny question, "help me choose 257WBY or 338WM"..... I'd just buy both and be done with it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA