Originally Posted by fldoghunter
I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the 130 TTSX in my 308. Shot my 5th or 6th deer with them the other day and I just can't get blood trails. they shoot great in my Montana, tear up the insides, always pass through, but very little if any blood. if deer always fell like yours did I wouldn't worry about it, but i'm afraid i'm going to leave one in the woods at some point. I shot one the other day and wasn't entirely sure of the shot. It was a quick off hand shot on a buck I walked up on. I couldn't find blood at all. when I did find the deer, he had only gone 40 yards, but into some thick stuff. He was quartering to me and the bullet entered barely in front of the shoulder, just clipping the blade. It exited about the back of his lungs and tore him all up on the inside. Just no blood on the ground.

I usually either don't need a blood trail or get one. What I believe happens is so much of the blood is internal and then the heart shuts down so no blood pressure. A low shot will sort of leak out, a higher shot the animal will drop before the free blood reaches the entry or exit. With monolithic bullets you need to shoot for bone or a CNS shot to guarantee they drop on the spot. But I have not found this necessary and stopped shooting deer on the shoulder after I filled up a 16 CF freezer entirely with blood shot shoulders. My dog loved me for it but not so great making bloody stew in the kitchen.

To me the lack of a blood trail actually means the bullet is very effective. The most dramatic blood trails I have seen are from bullets that just poked on through and the heart kept pumping. I shot one dear with a 30 M1 carbine through the aorta and there was a geyser of blood from that one. The 30 M1 gets my vote as one pretty marginal deer rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli