Why the hell would he, since ammo is only made Aguila, which may or may not be making is this month?

Have heard from SO many people that the 5mm Remington is the be-all and end-all of rimfire hunting rounds, but had a friend who owned one back when it was introduced, and it did just about what I expected with the Remington ammo featuring bullets of about the same weight (as I recall 38-grain) at about the same muzzle velocity as 40-grain .22 Rimfire Magnum ammo. There was so little difference in field performance that it couldn't be seen.

The present Aguila ammo has lighter 30-grain bullets at higher muzzle velocities (when its available, via the Internet) but none have plastic tips, which increase downrange performance a LOT, even in the .22 Magnum, but especially in the .17 HMR and .17 WSM.

Plus, .17 HMR ammo is available in every convenience store/gas station in the rural part of Montana where he lives, generally at around half the price of 5mm Remington ammo--and even less if you consider the cost of shipping 5mms. Oh, and he'd also have to spend a LOT more for a rifle that would be difficult to resell, due to the ammo problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck