Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I just put a 4x32 Conquest (13 oz) on a 84M last week, and am thrilled with it.

Yes, you're correct: I'm mentioning discontinued scopes, and even fixed ones, at that. Hey, ignoring the OP is what 24HCF is all about! grin

FC

No problem; fixed power scopes are fair game as well. grin

I've been looking at the Maven 2-10x38 (12.4 oz), but so far I've not read anything about them. Maven's business model seems to be the same as Tract, and the cost seems to be right between VX3i and Z3. I know a lot of folks, JB included, have been moving towards Burris. The only two I have are a Euro 3-9x40 30mm illuminated, which is heavy, and a USA-made 4x Signature on a custom M1909 (safe queen). I recently picked up a "Fire Famous" rifle that's topped with a 4x M8 - that's a really nice scope - so I know there are options out there.

What I'm looking for is something to put on a rifle that I bought a while back and I'm having reworked right now. It's a M1909 Argentine in a B&C Carbelite stock. When I got the rifle it had a very heavy barrel, which I'm having turned down. The 'smith said that would pare it down by about 8 ounces. If I can put a light scope on it, paired with the standard aluminum Weaver base/ring combo (low and light), the rifle should come in somewhere a touch under 8 pounds, which is perfectly fine for my use. I can't hold super lightweight rifles steady enough to do much with them.

Thanks for the suggestions. They're helpful.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown