We all have things we’d probably do different if given the chance.
I chose military service as a mechanic, because I had a good mechanical background and wanted to start a family.
Later on I sorta regretted not going to college and becoming a History teacher. But I highly doubt I could be a teacher now, let alone teach American history as I know it to be! frown I’d probably be run out on a rail.
Between that, and the battleground that many schools have become, I doubt that I’d be happier!
I’ve got a cousin who’s a teacher in New Port VA. She got another job, because the schools were run by gangs and most teachers were in fear of them.
I mean we bitch because someone calls a cop on a student for chewing a pop tart into the shape of a gun, but teachers and administrators are powerless to prevent the disciplinary problems caused by liberal values.
Mrs Hammers or Miss Buyers had the option of corporal punishment, and occasionally used it. We signed a paper allowing it on “Bighunter” but we also taught him to respect his teachers. I don’t think it ever necessary, because he knew he’d get his ass beat at home as well. His teachers always complimented Carol and I on his politeness and behavior. He was probably a better student than I was, and I did pretty well.
And yes, comparing schools today to the schools we attended is an apples to oranges thing. But we as parents allowed it to get to this point. Carol was very active in PTA and school board meetings. I was usually working 3rd shift, which took me outta the picture a lot. (Not that racecars and shooting sports didn’t)
Yeah, it’s still called Chestnut Ridge, but it’s nowhere near the school I attended. None of them are.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden