Originally Posted by comerade
Lots of 45/70 fans here.
I had one, ran the gamut on it and the more I used the Remlin, the more it bothered me. I also read about many failures and no company to back it up.
I found the brass could be bent with no effort, I really disliked the fat forearm and really thought the action sounded like it was made from pot metal. The earlier JM's were a little better, imo.
Why would a saddle rifle come with a fat forearm anyways? My rifles ride in a saddle scabbard , butt back , offside and under my stirrup. It was too bothersome for myself.
All said I do like the chambering but the .450 is better, stronger and the BLR is a front locking lever/ bolt...and it is a takedown.
I am saying this for other horseman our there, a saddle rifle takes a beating. Food for thought, imo

The early "Remlin" era is a disaster, and aptly demonstrates how a company can get themselves into trouble if the workforce is not skilled.

The fat forearm is something I never liked, either. My rifle has a set of Brockman's Rifles laminate stocks on it. The comb is raised, the forearm is much more slender and it has a ver effective recoil pad, making it much more shootable in regards to recoil.

Other things I have changed have been the trigger and mag follower, though I don't use the gummy tips, it allows that option should I decide. A larger lever has been installed, not one of the huge ones, bur an RPP medium which allows a gloved hand to easily fit in the lever. The rear semi-buckhorn came of first thing, I much prefer a peep (Williams FP), and I swap between that and a rail with either a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5X20 or a Viper Venom reflex sight. The VX3i gets the most use.

I don't carry it horseback and I'm sure that's a whole new set of demands on a rifle.

The BLR is a very nice looking, modern rifle, and two chamberings I would consider are the .358 Win and .450 Marlin. I have absolutely no experience with one but do admire the aesthetics.