My advice is to buy boots that fits your feet - then look at the price tag. It doesnt matter how much you saved or spent if they dont fit you. I guarantee if your feet blister up early in the hunt, you'll be done for the rest of the hunt and the rest of your gear will sit in camp. Boots to me are probably the most essential part of the gear choices because I've had feet issues. I'd rather have a walmart Savage 30-06 and a $500 pair of boots.

Finding elk requires you cover alot of ground. Elk hunting is one of those hunting activities where the amount of effort increases the odds. Finding elk requires alot of hiking up/down steep topography. Your feet are the key link between you and the ground - and success.

I would not be afraid to buy a used pair of top-line boots in excellent condition. I've bought more than a few pair boots, worn them 2-3-4 times and figure they aren't for me. I buy running shoes this way - floor models, returns, etc. I really dont care if Bubba tried them on or even wore them a couple times. I'll take the 50% savings because I go through running shoes and hiking boots pretty quick. I dont get a year from a pair of running shoes. Hiking boots are 12-18 months. Hunting boots last longer because I have 3 pairs that I rotate depending on weather.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.