Originally Posted by kenjs1
I load one at a time when testing and of course have been bit when finding best coal was longer than magazine length for some rifles. I just don't get to shoot enough to really ring things out as I would like.

So, I tend to find best powder load and adjust fit to magazine as tightly as function allows. I have a feeling I am not alone.

After reaching this point have you tried going shorter OAL and if so, found improved accuracy?

FWIW, from JB's The Big Book of Gun Gack, pg. 20-21: "One of the oldest myths in handloading is that the best accuracy is always obtained by seating bullets very close to the rifling . . . . In reality many rifles shoot most accurately with bullets seated well off the lands. . . . However, it is a good idea to start by seating bullets out as far as possible, whether very close to the lands or to the the limits of the magazine. After determining which powder charge is most accurate, I load up some new 4-round batches, turning the stem on the seating die one full turn for each batch. . . .(Seating rifle bullets deeper is perfectly safe, because pressure decreases with the bullet further from the lands. You may have heard that pressures increase when bullets are seated deeper, but that's true only with fast-burning handgun powders. It does NOT apply to modern rifle cartridges and slow-burning, progressive powders.)"

I haven't personally gotten around to using this technique, but I intend to give it a try.