Yes the travel insurance companies are pretty weaselly. I wish Lloyds or a more reputable company would provide travel insurance.

Covid-19 is going to get worse before it gets better. June will be in the peak of the southern hemispheres flu season. But it is also the dry season which will reduce the spread. The only real danger is public places, once out in the bush the risks will be low if you avoid contact with obviously infected individuals. SA has many British, German and US trained medical staff as well as from the SA med. schools and excellent facilities. If I had to go to a hospital I would almost rather do it there than here.

Given your age would make me more inclined to go if you can accept the risks. Even though your in the at risk age demographic it is only critical if you have a compromised immune system or other health issues, if not then you are closer to the 80% group that it would be like a bad case of the more common flu but not life threatening. I am getting the pneumonia vaccine as a preventative, last case of the flu I may have gotten pneumonia too which compounded the severity of the symptoms.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli