That’s neat. I’d love to hike up into some of that high country and shoot at a few marmots or rock chucks or whatever it is that y’all callem lol.

If a woodchuck is on your bucket list. You should by all means get on that. I can’t speak for the rest of the eastern states but around here. The good old days of ground hog hunting are long gone. We still have several but they mostly live close to inhabited areas, in and around barn lots, under old barns etc. the days of catching a woodchuck out in the middle of farmer johns hayfield and shooting him from 200+ yards with your 22-250 seem to be a thing of yesteryear. We still have the fields but people keep them manicured like a golf course these days. I imagine that with the ever increasing number of coyotes, the woodchucks have learned that being close to people ain’t a bad thing. I shoot a couple each year, but only those that wonder into the barn lot or pasture field where the cattle and horses are. Which is there this guy was. I’ve got a new 17remington and 17 hornet that I’m itching to whop a whistlepig with, so hopefully one finds his way into the field again this summer.

I imagine there’s still some good woodchuck hunting in Virginia, and Tennessee. Also I’d say central Ky, but here in the eastern part of the state. I’m not so sure it would be worth a drive.