Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
What barrel length do you 221 shooters recommend?

I had a 222 Rem 600 18.5" bbl that was a handy rifle, very mild report. My custom 221 was 22 as I recall. I would not go over. I like short rifles that have enough weight to steady, not full varmint, but a 22 cal in a # 2 or 2.5 will be plenty stiff and accurate. If you want some 'Muzzle hang/heft' go longer like 22-24" depending on how heavy a scope and stock.

Do you want a walking sporter/varminter for carrying? Had a Model 7 XCR in 243, IIRC it had a Magnum 700 contour, fluted, and 20" - it was about perfect, very handy. If you are a long limbed tall guy you might like a bit more barrel for balance.

If you like the 222, you will love the 221. Both very similar. A 222 will do around 3700 w/40s IIRC, the FB around 3600, with Lil Gun.

The 17s and 20s are surely fine rounds, flat and fast, and mild. I'd dabble but the older I get the more I like to K.I.S.S. and use standard common bore sizes for bullets, brushes, rods, etc. I came close years ago to ordering a Cooper in 221, also considered 17 MK4. The 20 Vartag is likely a very fine round, but for me, a 221 slinging 40s should cover a lot of ground. I have heard of folks using high bc bullets in 17 Rems.....but they might be a tad more 'hassle' if you will. If you are keeping things to around 300 yds and in, the 221/40 should serve you well.