The difference in trajectory among most common cartridges and bullet weights isn't as great as you'd think. I don't have any scopes with the caliber specific reticle, but several with multiple aiming points. If I zero any rifle in my safe at 100 yards the marks on the reticle are close enough at 200 yards, 300, 400, 500, etc. Especially for big game hunting where you have a 10-18" kill zone depending on the game animal. I shoot 6.5 CM, 308, 223, and 30-06.

With 308 the difference in drop between 150's, 165's and 180's at 500 yards is about 4". Comparing the flattest shooting load I have to the worst there is only about 10" difference all the way to 500 yards. Which would be significant if I were shooting 1" groups at 500 yards. When you consider that 5" groups at 500 yards is above average for hunting rifles the groups between the flattest shooting rifle I own and the worst would overlap with the same hold on my scope.

I've found the marks to be very close to accurate with my 30-06. With 308 my bullets may impact 2-3" lower with the same hold at those ranges. But that is still well within the kill zone of big game animals, and even if I do need to compensate a few inches out at 400-500 yards that is easier than 2-3 FEET with a standard reticle

Also consider this, it would be rare for a game animal to be at EXACTLY 200, 300, 400, or 500 yards. They will always be somewhere in between. If your range finder says 250 yards which aiming point do you use? You still have to choose one or the other and compensate somewhat.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.