I have three Sako 85 rifles. A .308 HB target model, a 7x64 Bavarian and a .375 H&H Kodiak. The .308 is perfect in all respects. The other two both ejected cases at a higher arc than I liked. Cases would hit the right hand turret of the scope. I use duplex scope reticles so a very easy and obvious fix was to turn the scope 90° counterclockwise and the problem was solved. Actually made me wonder why all scopes are not designed to be mounted with turrets on top and on the left side, leaving the ejection port more accessible. So that's one solution.

But I like to tinker and analyze rifles. The design of the M85 extractor is a bigger problem than the position of the ejector on these rifles. They have a few thousandths of an inch too much clearance between extractor claw and the face of the bolt. This allows a bit of upward momentum to build when the loosely held case is ejected. I tried a fix promoted by others by replacing the extractor spring with a stronger one. That $5 fix worked OK and for a short time improved ejection angle on the 7x64, but I think all it was doing was grabbing the case with a little more friction on the outside of the rim. As the extractor got polished up with use, the friction decreased and ejection angle was back to " too high". Not good.

I had a skilled machinist build me new extractors with only 0.005" clearance for the cartridge rim. Three new extractor claws only cost me $50. I kept one for a spare and installed two of them in the 7x64 and the .375. Both rifles work perfectly now. Ejection is positive, smooth and at a proper low angle with plenty of scope clearance. I would now have no hesitation using my .375 for hunting dangerous game with a low mounted scope attached.

Last edited by castnblast; 03/25/20.