Where are you elk hunting (generally, not GPS coordinates)? When will you be there? Predicted elevation of your hunt? Hunting on foot, horses, ATV, from a blind, or ??????

Comfort/Warmth are very subjective so the below may, or may not apply to you.

I hunt primarily afoot and typically get by with some good moisture managing socks and no insulation down to about 20 degrees. Meindl/Cabelas Denali are my favorite, the Meindl USA equivalent is the Vakuum Hunter.

A typical hunt would be 45-90min walk/stalk into position before 1sr/last light, then sit for 90-120min and hope to catch a critter moving. If it's wet, particularly windy, or much colder than 20F then I go to pac boots. I too have large drumsticks. 13" Schnees Hunter II's have plenty of room and long enough laces to make use of that room, 10" models should stay below your calves, I have both. I typically wear the 13's much more often than the 10's.

While I'm moving I try to wear the bare minimum amount of clothing that keeps me comfortable (not necessarily "toasty"), full-body moisture management is THE KEY to full-body comfort for me. If my plan is to hike in then sit down for an extended period, I'll pack in a dry shirt (typically fleece that's light and warm), a puffy jacket and pants, a GOOD windproof hat, and good windproof glommets/gloves. When I get close/into position, I'll take all my top layers off down to bare skin and dry off as I'm digging dry and warmer clothing out of my pack. Puffy pants 1st, then a dry shirt, puffy jacket, then maybe/maybe not a wind stopping layer.

Apologies if this is sort of "Captain Obvious" type stuff, but for me, I can't just say "X boot works for me" without explaining why/how.

Last edited by horse1; 03/26/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.