4th point,

I don’t remember a survey, but I do distinctly remember reading that certain game wardens personally used the .243 on elk. I also remember reading that one very popular guide used the .243 for everything and short the 70 grain Hornady Bullet.

There was a study done herein S.C. about15 years ago where they tabulated the distance traveled after the shot for different calibers and also between cup and core Bullet’s and premiums. The .243 and 6mm did have a little longer animal travel but only by 3-4 yards. Interestingly, the .257 calibers had the least travel even compared to 30 caliber. The name of the plantation was called Cedar Knoll/ you can probably google it if you want.

I tried a 243 for one deer season, but only took four deer that year. The farthest one traveled was 40 yards and that was a poor liver shot. Two dropped at the shot and one made it about ten yards. All of those were taken with the 95NBT.

I have a good friend that hunts in the rolling hills here in S.C. and specifically hunts feed trees like White oaks so his shots are normally close ant the terrain more open than where I hunt. He has taken well over a hundred deer with his .243 and he loves the 100 grain Gameking. He said it normally does not exit at close range but the damage is wicked and they don’t go far.