Actually game wardens in California are pressured to travel with the narcotic interdiction teams. The wardens have search powers that do not require a warrant, as is true in most states. Some of them really get into it, some wish they weren't involved. Part of my problem getting crosswise with wardens is, I'm a sorry looking son of a bitch, high and tight hair, scroungy old man beard, tattered clothing, wore out pickups, beater rifles...no tatoos or earrings or none of that but still, I can see 'em fuzz up when they get close enough to talk. 5 years ago I had one drive by my old tent, stop, back up and get out and brace me over a hawk feather in my Resistol. Illegal to possess non game animal parts he said. In the process he unsnapped his holster strap, that scared me. The short of it was, I handed over the feather and he told me he was "glad this didn't turn into a confrontation". That guy was primed . He called the Forest Service when he got back to the highway and turned me in for having a "fire". Forest Service cop didn't write me up because it was a woodstove in the tent. Land of the free, home of the brave.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.