Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
"Ladies&gentlemen of the jury regular ammo wasn't enough No! She shot my poor downtrodden client with Megadeath nuclear black talon rip'em guts out Ammonutioyn!" That issue. I'd just use the h&r magnums.

Show a case where this has ever been an issue

I apologize for further derailing the OP's thread, but...

Lawyers can (and do) try to make an issue out of anything that they think will help their case. But, just because it's been raised as an issue, it doesn't follow that the issue has legs. That said, there is no realistic argument that your legal jeopardy increases due to your use of handloads in self defense.

I once discussed the issue with other judges, the elected sheriff, the elected prosecutor, and a couple defense attorneys, and we all reached the same conclusion: It just doesn't matter. A shooter's righteousness (or criminality) will be determined on other, more significant issues, long before anybody raises the fact that the killing round was handloaded by the shooter.

If anything, there is a stronger argument against commercial ammo being used! After all, Federal, Remington, Hornady, or Whoever doesn't start mass producing a self defense round until they've done serious testing--a TON of serious testing. When they finally decide that they've created the ultimate projectile and are pushing it at the perfect speed, they offer it to America, proudly proclaiming that they have invented the perfect, purpose-built man-stopper! If you want to do maximum damage to the human body, use this round!

Whereas the guy who handloads probably uses the bullet he does, because he "heard they were good" and got a discount if he bought 1000 or more. He uses the powder he does, because it's what he uses for some other gun, and he didn't have to make a special trip to the store. As for speed, he worked up to max book but really can't say why. And, how does it perform? He has no idea; he only shot them at the range to make sure they'd group acceptably and run in his gun; he has no idea what they do against human tissue.

So who has the blacker heart when they walk out the door with their gun--Commercial Ammo Man or Handloader Guy? Commercial Ammo Man is carrying the perfect ammunition for killing, and Handloader Guy is carrying something he put together in his shop.

If you're sitting at the defendant's table in a courtroom, it wasn't your handload that got you there.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.