Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
While I don't recall the involved officer's name Mas did write about how he used the Speer 200 grain flying ashtray @965 fps in a onduty shooting and how lucky he was that it was not a huge issue but do we really want to feed lawyers anything?

If you empty the gun on a perp, there ain't no way in hell anyone could tell whether they were handloaded or not, even with mixed headstanp brass.

I wouldn't bet on that assumption. First thing that will happen is someone is going to inspect your brass. Even if you use brass from a major manufacturer, do the primers match factory ammo? Do any recovered bullets match the factory loads? Do you have a stash of matching factory loads at your house, with less than full boxes, or just handloads and the equipment needed to make them? If they really wanted to get into it they could check spectrographic results for the powder residue in the brass. Lots of ways to come to a reasonable conclusion handloads were used.

That said, the possible argument by the prosecution that you handloaded the meanest, deadliest bullet you could find is no different than them making the same argument regarding purchased ammo - you bought the meanest, deadliest ammo you could find.

I have defensive handloads for most of my carry and home/camp defense guns. That said, The ,380, 9mm Luger, .40 S&W and .45ACP get Barnes TAC-XPD, a bullet I don't reload. Don't reload for the .25ACP, either. hat and the .38SPL get Hornady FTX ammo, another bullet I don't reload for.

The 12g gets factory 00 loads. I have . The .357 Mag and .44 Mag are all handloads and the AR magazines (5.56, .300BLK and .308W) are all loaded with handloads. These guns are all kept locked up. If I shoot someone with any of these it is likely a home or camp invasion situation.

My question is, what IDIOT would purchase or build ammo they thought would be the LEAST EFFECTIVE in a defensive and possibly life/death situation?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.