For the most part, manufacturers have become much better at putting out very accurate rifles. I speculate most of us don't have the ability to tap into the full potential of a lot of factory rifles, even the cheaper ones. To many, getting a bedding job done, putting on an aftermarket stock and/or putting in a high quality trigger is akin to having a custom made AND can be a significantly better and more cost effective option. To each their own.

I'm lucky. In buying a Kimber Montana/Ascent, etc., Fieldcraft, Seekins and others, I am able to get what fits me and works for me and is capable beyond my own abilities at a cost less than a custom. Heck, my first custom I put together about 30 years ago amounted to what is now a Kimber Montana at a significantly higher cost. Heck, in 1990 I think I paid just over $1800 to have that rifle put together. What is that in today's dollars? However, generally speaking, in time-adjusted dollars, I do think it is now "cheaper" (relative term, I know) to have a nice custom put together today than it was even 10 or 15 years ago. Competition, the free market and technological advances have put us into the golden age of center fire rifles, whether that be assembly line or custom.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/02/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ