Get some training from someone in your area that knows what they are doing, not just someones that says they know what they are doing. If you have any local competitions you can likely find someone there willing to help a newb. Short of that try the NRA, some instructors know their stuff some don't. If you can get hold of one of the NRA booklets they are pretty good for explaining grip, stance, breathing, follow through, trigger control and aiming.

If your support hand palm is over your firing hand thumb, your grip is wrong from the start. Don't develop bad habits then have to fight to correct them. Trust me, it's much easier to start with good habits. Been there, done that and still fight bad habits from time to time.

Also, consider picking up a .22 rimfire. Easier to learn with because there isn't near as much recoil and noise to deal with and has the added advantage of being even cheaper to shoot. From time to time I'll find myself fighting a flinch, usually after shooting a bunch of stout loads with fairly heavy recoil and blast. A session or two with one of the rimfires will straighten me out.

Don't overlook the importance of dry fire practice. Get yourself some snap caps and just 15 minutes every night can quickly make a huge difference. Without the distraction of noise and muzzle blast it is much easier to concentrate on the fundamentals.

Hope this helps some.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org