Most newer pickups, even 1/2Tn have electric trailer brake controllers built in. If you have a round 7-pin plug near your receiver hitch, you've got a trailer brake controller.

1st best idea would be a ~20' enclosed trailer to offer the 'Vette the best protection from rock-chips etc.

If for whatever reason the enclosed trailer is not feasible then my next choice would be a deckover and one of these: http://towtector.com

The deckover will probably cost you a little MPG, but, it gets the car up and over most of the "stuff" your tow vehicle throws. Toss on the TowTector (or similar, there's lots of them) and your only real danger to the 'Vette on the trailer is stuff thrown up by other vehicles.

Use the Tow/Haul button on the end of your gear-select lever. Should be able to run ~70MPH on flat ground with the cruise set. If you notice lots of shifting, slow down in ~5MPH increments until you hold a gear. Expect (and anticipate) the transmission down-shifting on even mild inclines.

Use your common sense when you get to the mountains. There's no shame in running the shoulder @ 45MPH with your flashers on if that's what it takes to be safe.

I wouldn't choose a 1/2Tn pickup to do that job every day. I wouldn't shy away from towing that 'Vette once with a 1/2Tn pickup either.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.