Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
I like the combination of the cartridge and Steyr Dragoon and have the Steyr Dragoon matched with a Steyr true scout in .308.

I believe the combination is ideal for general purpose woods wandering and would be my first choice for killing animals of all sizes on my own or family property where I have watched an elk go down in the evening and come up in the morning for long enough that I might decide the time has come.

I could argue that the .376 would be ideal if I set out to kill a bear because the cartridge and rig would be great for an animal at least 75 yards away and not much more than 150 yards distant. Equally a good setup if I didn't set out to kill a bear but found a spur of the moment reason to take a bear. Hence the idea of taking a bear far enough away but not too far.

That said, while I do agree with Mr. Cooper and others that either cartridge in the Steyr setup as a Scout makes a great general purpose rifle for a specific purpose I might well make a different and more specific choice.

I bought a Steyr true scout (.308) at a distress sale figuring I could send it down the road and call it a rental but I would never know what the fuss was about if I didn't own one. I liked it very much and almost immediately bought a Dragoon from CDNN at an attractive price. The pair would be among the last to go along with a Steyr straight pull in rim fire as an understudy because they are indeed general purpose. For my money the straight pull in .17 HMR would be ideal if the black tail jack ever over run this country again (I don't expect it in my lifetime but the the last peak in the early 1980s was a sight.)

And to repeat myself for any specific purpose e.g. hunting first light or last light or into the rising or setting sun there is is likely something better with a better choice of sights.

My only meaningful .376 load is a 260 Accubond for everything though I have bought the lighter 225 grain cup and core bullets as seconds for folks who just want to shoot the .376 Steyr at paper. Similarly for the true Scout .308 I like compromise light monolithic bullets with a scattering of cheap cup and core seconds or military style for plinking.

Love to know your load adata on the accubond.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024