Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by antlers
Well, the U.S. is steadily becoming less Christian and less religiously observant as the share of adults who are not religious grows. *In order to reach people that no one else is reaching, you’ve got to do things that no one else is doing*. Leading people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus is more easily done in a warm, friendly, casual environment (with high-energy worship music) than it is in a cold, unfriendly, formal environment (with boring worship services).
I agree with a lot of that that, there is a place for entertainment, but it shouldn't be called a worship service. It's OK to have good music in worship. The problem with it, as practiced in the megachurches featuring popcorn & espresso especially, is that they never get beyond that and they never teach any of the harder teachings. It's all Dr. Feelgood BS. Really, aside from the divinity of Christ, most of it's very little different from what pagans believe(d).
I agree with very little of what you’ve said here, in that, high-energy worship music can most definitely be part of a worship service. And having “popcorn & espresso” in no way negates teaching helpful and relevant content regarding following Jesus. To compare a mission ‘to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus’ to “what pagans believe” and “Dr. Feelgood BS” is WAY off the mark. With attitudes like that, it’s no wonder that Christianity is on the decline in this country.

I certainly got no problem if others choose to worship Jesus in an environment that would put me to sleep. But some others clearly ‘do’ have a problem when some choose to worship Jesus in an irresistible environment as I described earlier.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.