Phil is working on a book, and may be making real progress this spring, as non-resident bear hunting has been shut down in Alaska at least until June.

When Grancel Fitz took every big game animal in North America with his .30-06, if I recall correctly he used the 220-grain Remington Core-Lokt roundnose on big stuff. Back then all Core-Lokts had heavy jackets, and the few remaining roundnoses might still--they did until at least a decade ago. The Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokts have had thinner jackets for close to 30 years.

The one whaling experience I've had occurred in Hudson's Bay, during an interlude in a caribou hunt almost 20 years ago. Was hunting with the local Inuits out of Arviat, on the west side of the bay, and one day a bunch of beluga whales showed up just offshore--which look like miniature Moby Dicks, growing up to about 20 feet long. Everybody jumped in their boats and went after them, and I got to go along. They used harpoons with heads made of thin copper, pounded around the head of the detachable shaft, attached with a rope to an empty plastic 10-gallon gasoline can. They't stick a whale, then let it tow the "float" around for a while until the whale got exhausted and stayed near the surface--where they'd shoot it in the head. The rifle and load of choice in the boat I rode in was an ancient, unmodified .303 Lee-Enfield, with old round-nosed 215-grain mil-surp ammo. It worked.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck